Quality education is the safest route toward realizing a wide range of desires. This is why proper education from the earliest age is so important, with every step along the way bearing its own special significance – from kindergarten to faculty. Higher education is the apex of this journey, where the child is, after 12 years of school, ready for college, where they will acquire knowledge which will greatly contribute to a successful career and a successful life.
What is higher education?
When it comes to academic education, it primarily refers to the third-level system of formal learning, comprising colleges and universities. This level of education provides knowledge for the student’s successful career. The level and quality of knowledge that leads to an academic degree depends on the choice of academic institution. Higher education institutions offer two-year and four-year studies. Accordingly, the student can acquire a bachelor’s or a master’s degree.
Education does not have to end there. Universities also offer doctoral studies, where students pursue a PhD in a certain field. Specific professions require mandatory professional training, specialization and a period of internship. This primarily concerns the medical field, where the proper introduction of the student into practical work is paramount. However, to reach that level, one first needs to invest a great deal of effort to complete the initial studies. But before anything else, one needs to decide what to study and where.
Globalization has brought about the possibility of education in foreign countries all over the globe. While the United States education system is among the best in the world, it is possible to study in any corner of the world. Although higher education is not the same in all countries, after high school, it is possible to start college anywhere, provided that all requirements are met. For many, the first among these is, of course, the foreign language, as although the lectures might be in English (which is often not the case either), living in a foreign country presents many challenges where communication is an issue.
Anyway, due to the wide range of quality United States schools, American students usually opt for studying in the States. In that case, they are faced with an important decision concerning the field of studies, which is a far-ranging decision indeed, one that concerns not only what they will study in the next few years, but also how it will reflect their future career.
How does higher education affect one’s success in life?
Higher education, also known as tertiary education, is very important for students who would like to realize their ambitions. In order to do so, they need to define a concrete goal in time, because it will allow them to properly perceive all the challenges that lie ahead. Quality education provides:
- Acquiring a work ethic – College is the place where one not only obtains knowledge from their selected field, but also develops important habits. Through numerous lectures and practical exercises, the students face challenges that await them in “real life”. When they leave college, they already have the skills of critical thinking, teamwork, leadership, etc. In order to finish college, one must be well organized and possess well developed communication skills, which, in turn, constitutes a great asset for any future company. Combine it with the high level of the acquired knowledge and skills, and it is clear why college is considered a prerequisite for a successful career.
- Work in top conditions – Students with bachelor’s or master’s degree often have an excellent range of job opportunities and find jobs in their field very quickly. In such cases, they are the ones who can dictate the work conditions, as they are aware of their capabilities. This is not limited to the salary itself which can include a number of benefits. Many find health insurance crucial, and it can be accompanied by benefits such as working from home, a take-home vehicle, award trips, etc. Modern business largely depends upon the employee structure and the employee’s abilities. This is why every expert can count on excellent work conditions in their field.
- Excellent pay – It is well known that jobs that require a college diploma are usually very well paid. The main reason is, of course, the knowledge that a highly educated person can provide right at the beginning of their career. Additionally, people with degrees often opt for further professional training, which, in turn, brings about even better salary prospects. Outstanding experts get a lot of job offers, and once they join a company, they often get promoted and successfully negotiate salary raises.
- Social acceptance – Finishing college brings great personal satisfaction, because it is clearly a process that requires a lot of effort and sacrifice. Graduation is proof that someone has successfully faced life’s challenges, which implies a certain social status. It is not a coincidence that college and university graduates have few problems finding jobs, reach their life goals with success and have large salaries. Because of all this, higher education is highly respected, as college constitutes a life test of sorts, successfully passed only by the very best.
- Acquiring self-confidence and numerous life skills – A good college prepares students for modern jobs, but it also teaches them how to face the many challenges of life. Education at such a high level involves facing persons of authority (the teachers), which is an opportunity to improve both business and everyday communication. One can learn a lot by meeting the professors, and this transcends the subject matter itself. What one learns through the experiences of student life is later applied at work, in the family, in public. Simply put, the students learn to become grown-ups ready to take responsibility for themselves and others.
However, the road to success is long, and it is important that the students choose to study what really interests them. Choosing a profession based solely on potential salary is not the right approach, as it neglects important variables such as personal psychological and physical capabilities. What is easy for one person can be quite hard for another, so there is no single universal answer to the question of what to study.
It is important to recognize one’s affinities in time and choose a school based on personal abilities. The student needs to be aware of the realistic possibilities in order to choose the best possible path. To ensure this process is successful, it is important to be well-informed about study programs.
What fields of study are there?
School children are often asked the question: “What will you be when you grow up?” The right time to provide a definitive answer to this question is after completing secondary education, i.e., high school. Then it is time to start college, the final step in education.
Finishing the desired school depends on the candidate’s wishes, affinities and abilities. This is why it is very important to get acquainted with the numerous possibilities offered by colleges and universities (scholarships, student loans, education research opportunities, etc.).
Vocational (Trade schools)
Vocational education focuses on transferring knowledge that will help students become versed in a concrete profession. These are usually two-year programs teaching practical skills such as: cooking, crafts, trade, material processing, etc. These schools’ curricula focus on vocational subjects to best prepare the student to work in the profession in question.
Not every student has to focus exclusively on one field. If they want to acquire a more comprehensive education in mathematics, science, history, philosophy, language and literature, they can opt for studying liberal arts. At certain colleges, these areas can be studied along with a selected major, to provide breadth to the acquired knowledge.
Visual art can refer to any art form that utilizes different materials in the creative process: painting, drawing, sculpture, graphic design, etc. In the modern age, these arts are joined by film, where one can study editing, direction, production, film theory, etc. However, as a multi-faceted art, film is closely related to other realms of art as well, such as music and drama.
This term encompasses the fields of dance, music and drama (theater). Of course, there are a number of variations, where these fields are combined, a good example being the opera. As these are areas where talent and potential play a crucial role, the enrollment process is a bit different. Certain areas require that the candidate has finished a specialized school. This especially relates to music, where higher education is the summit of the years spent studying an instrument.
Engineering education provides knowledge from various scientific fields that, combined with practical skills, enables one to design, build, maintain and develop different types of building and devices. There are a number of more specific areas that can be studied, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. To achieve the desired results, engineers must have excellent understanding of mathematics, physics, chemistry and other related disciplines.
Professional higher education
This type of higher education offers complete knowledge from a concrete field, providing professional training in the relevant areas. Knowledge transferred in this way can imply learning through theory and practice, as well as research work. The list includes a number of areas associated with four-year studies and master’s degrees: journalism, veterinary medicine, law, pharmacy, etc.